Friday, March 5, 2010

...In a Flash...

So, as some of you know, awhile ago I began to be interested in round knitting looms. And I even made my own knitting looms out of tin cans and cotter pins or nails. I even wrote instructions on how to make your own here.

But then I came across a blog here that had instructions for a unique way of making what the author calls flexible knitting looms. These looms are flexible because lack a frame. They are made up of pegs (made from things like ball point pens or cocktail stirrers), beads that are used as spacers, and rubber bands to hold it all together.

In my opinion, based on the ones I made, they are a little bit awkward to use. But still they have their advantages. Including being able to make them any size you want...just add more pegs and you have a larger loom for larger items.

Using the flexible knitting loom idea I made a mini-loom with less than a dozen plastic cocktail stirrers and some hair rubber bands I got at the grocery store, some pony beads from the craft store. I also made one that creates smaller stitches by using nails as my pegs...kinda odd, but it works. And with these mini knitting looms I made a couple "flash drive or Chapstick cozies."

Pictured here is a knit little cozy that holds my flash drive. The cozy is attached to my keys so I hopefully won't lose this one like I did my other one (which I think fell out of my purse).

It's made out of some blue and brown, nubby like yarn that I found at the thrift store and then added an old button to close it and keep it's contents secure inside.

Not only does this little cozy hold a flash drive, but, because of it's small size, it's something that can be knitted up in a flash too.

2 comments:

Kimmy March 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

Such a smart idea to put your flash in! Never thought of that!

Sharon March 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM  

Yeah, the first time I saw these sort of things on etsy.com they were being advertised as being either for lip balm or flash drives. I use my flash drive more than lip balm and I've lost a flash drive (with all my stuff on it). So something like this is a must have for me. I just need one that's more girly and pink, or something than this one. :)

Flores e Flowers

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP