Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Letting go...sort of.

Recently the consignment store I help out with did a major clear out of merchandise consignors had in the store. And a lot of my own things that I had on consignment there were cleared out as well...some of it to my sadness (although honestly some of it really had to go, had been around too long, didn't fit the store's image, and/or was just a buying mistake in the first place).

I tried to part with some of it via a yard sale, but as it was a spur of the moment thing there wasn't really any time to do much in the way of advertising. (Although I think the signs I made were great...and I did get a lot of comments on them...how often do you drive by and see a suitcase sitting on the side of the road with a yard sale sign affixed to it?) And I'm kinda off the beaten track as well. So much of it got hauled off to charity after the yard sale was over.

But there were some things I just haven't seemed to be able to part with (even though I hardly have room for most of what I have). Yesterday as I sorted through things, trying to convince myself to part with even more, I decided to take two little vintage plates that got rejected from the store and put them on the wall in my room. (They look really great with my little Hello Kitty robot thingy doll, don't they?)

I still have a box full of stuff I haven't yet been able to convince myself to part with. But at least I can boast that a whole van full of stuff though is now gone...with a mix of things that had been in the store and from my personal belongings. It feels both good and sad at the same time to let so much of it go. But it feels like this is a time in my life where I'm ready to move on, new chapter, new stage in my life. And letting go of material things I no longer need is an important part of that. I've been letting go of much mental clutter over many months. It's time for some of that physical clutter to go too.

One more van full of stuff donated to charity...and I should be good. ;)

0 comments:

Flores e Flowers

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP